Sunday, October 11, 2009

Social networking

My relatively short, inconsequential social networking stint ended officially when I deactivated my Facebook account the other day. Took me about a year to convince myself of starting one. Spent just a few seconds deciding to close it down. Good friends who have created their FB profiles and sites, including colleagues at the office who have all jumped into the social networking bandwagon, made their pitch about its fun features. A blogger these past few years, and quite a slow learner of new things, I became a sceptic and hold out. Just couldn’t imagine that I’ll have time left for social networking with all the emails accumulating in my inbox and the tasks of maintaining my three blogs.

Then one day, suddenly found myself with an FB account. Took me a few days though to build enough confidence and post something in my status. As with my ten or so e-groups, I became a lurker for a while. Buoyed by the interest in other social networking sites that co-workers were trying out, I soon changed my profile picture from one wherein I had my back to the camera to that which had my face in full view. After some time, I was already posting messages, status updates, notes, videos, pictures, and comments on an almost daily basis. Even chatted with friends very early in the morning.

So, what made me give it all up? First, found out that I really didn’t have the constitution for small talk: conversing on just about anything under the sun, what young Pinoys now call chika. I’m just too lousy in keeping up a conversation, even online. Second, I’m just too wordy for FB’s main mode of exchange which is something like a cross of the online discussion board and the instant messaging services. Doing a Hemingway is simply well beyond my writing style with its winding thoughts and convoluted syntax. Finally, realized that there’s little space for reflection in these social networking sites. Everybody’s just busy building their virtual farms, getting their Chinese or Japanese names, peeping into each other’s lives, watching those inspirational or funny videos, advertising their latest fads and causes, or fishing for a partner.

Back to the batcave.

1 comment:

len said...

contrary to my experience, i am now liking FB; just a click away and i feel i'm back home. i'll miss you at FB.